subota, 25. rujna 2021.

The Meatball Soup I Make at Least Once a Week

Top it with anything your heart desires.
 ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ 
The Spruce Daily
Today On The Spruce
Meatball Soup
I Make This Meatball Soup at Least Once a Week
READ MORE
Mariana,
Newsletter Editor
A few weeks ago, my brother took me out to dinner at a Downtown LA restaurant that's listed as both Indian and American (New) on Yelp. Badmaash, I've since learned, means something like rascal, hooligan, trouble-maker in Hindi. Two of the restaurants' owners are siblings and children of Indian immigrants. Badmash is something their grandmother used to call them.
 
We ordered "Channa Masala Poutine," among (many) other incredibly delicious things. Poutine, a popular French-Canadian late-night snack, becomes something entirely different at Badmaash. It's topped with chicken tikka, cilantro, and of course, cheese curds and gravy.
 
Channa Masala Poutine is not what comes to mind when most people think of authentic Indian food. And Badmaash is not the kind of restaurant most people think of when they think about authentic Indian restaurants.
 
Since that night, I've been thinking a lot about the concept of authenticity and what it actually means when we talk about food. I think "authentic food" is typically a form of praise we use when a restaurant serves dishes a grandmother might make—dishes that adhere to old traditions, perhaps even ones centuries-old.
 
But the bicultural, child-of-immigrant experience is an authentic experience, and so is any food that that experience gives birth to. Channa Masala Poutine is an authentic Canadian-Indian, American-Indian dish.
 
We're a little over a week into Latinx Heritage Month, so I've been reflecting on my own relationship with the foods I grew up eating, too. Both of my parents are Mexican immigrants, and I grew up eating the kind of dishes grandmothers cook. But my relationship to Mexican food is not the same as my parents'. And that's okay.
 
I don't make my sopa de albondigas the same way my mother does. I like mine with sliced avocado, crispy tortilla strips, sometimes barley or farro, lots of Tapatio sauce, and a squeeze of lime. But you can add anything your heart desires.
Today On The Spruce
What to Make This Week
Mexican Sopa Aguada
Mexican Sopa Aguada
Humble, quick, fragrant, what I think of when I think of comfort food.
Read On
Tacos al Pastor
My go-to taco truck order always includes tacos al pastor. Always.
Read On
Mexican Street Corn
Mexican Street Corn
There's something...magical about this combination that's almost hard to explain.
Read On
Dairy-Free Chocolate Cake
This is one of those delicious, non-traditional recipes I was talking about.
Read On
Today On The Spruce
The Spruce Eats on YouTube
You Want to Get to Know These 3-Ingredient Cocktails
You Want to Get to Know These 3-Ingredient Cocktails
Watch & Learn
Spruce Eats Banner
Today On The Spruce

Did somebody forward you this email? Sign Up for The Spruce Eats Newsletter!

Have feedback? Send us an email at contact@thespruceeats.com, subject line: Newsletter Feedback.
The Spruce
Follow us:  
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to The Spruce Eats newsletter. Unsubscribe
© 2021 Dotdash.com — All rights reserved. Privacy Policy.
A DOTDASH BRAND 28 Liberty Street, 7th Floor, New York, NY, 10005

Nema komentara:

Objavi komentar