subota, 30. siječnja 2021.

I listened to a lot of organization advice

My refrigerator was recently featured as a "before" photo.
 ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ 
The Spruce Daily
Today On The Spruce
Lemon Heading Photo
I Listened to a Lot of Organization Advice
Heather Ramsdell
2021 is my year to clear and January is all about the kitchen.

My refrigerator was recently featured as the "before" photo in one of our Instagram posts about kitchen organization. The unmarked leftovers, greens fraternizing with cheeses, and high number of hot sauces in there gave people a lot of feelings. It's okay, everyone. The cleanse is underway.

During winter break, I had time. I interviewed my neatest friends, read articles, and listened to organization podcasts and I tried different pieces of advice. It's humbling to follow instructions about something that comes naturally to so many, but part of the success of this project is refusing to be embarrassed. These are tips I turn to again and again as I tackle this engaging, persistent ambition.

  1. It's not too late. Everyone else organized their kitchens back in April, I was concentrating on other things, like making edible playdough, making sourdough starter, or cleaning my groceries. Most advise to think of organizing as a practice instead of a project. This relieved the pressure of beginning.

  2. Don't spend more than 2 hours in a row organizing anything, ever. If you binge you won't do it again soon. Today, my freezer is a dream, my utensil drawer is placid, the left side of my fridge is highly respectable. But I still own 12 different hot sauces, long javanese peppercorns given to me as a gift in 2001, and cannot comprehend any of the grains in my corner cabinet. Overall, my kitchen is genuinely more clear, and I know this because I spend less time searching for things.

  3. Make tiny habits. Shrink new habits down into the tiniest possible parts, according to the author of the book Tiny Habits. To start a new habit, tie it to an old one and high-five yourself each time you do it. I set my timer for my French press and while my coffee steeps, I clean. Now my kettle is shiny, my fridge foods are labeled, there are no spoons in my fork compartment, and I have consolidated two ketchups into the same bottle.

  4. Purge first. After I made room in my cabinets by eating up staples I'd stockpiled in the spring in comforting casseroles, it was much easier to tell what kind of storage I really needed. I have measured my shelves for stackable storage in the same size, which will save space and add structure, and move from my fridge to my freezer to my kitchen drawers.

  5. Talk to your belongings. Three different organizers suggested this which helps both understanding and parting with things. I asked my cookie press "When was the last time I used you?" It did not answer, so I moved it much farther away. I said, "Why do I want to keep you?" to the burnt spoon my sister gave me, and added the answer to a list. I said "Thank you," to an impulse spice blend I thought I wanted, and gently showed it the door.
High five and happy organizing,

- Heather Ramsdell
Editorial Director, The Spruce Eats

READ MORE
Today On The Spruce
Recipes We Love
Sugar
How to Organize Your Kitchen to Make Cooking Less Stressful
Never Lose Items in Your Freezer Again
Sugar
14 Smart Fridge Organization Tips You Should Try
Declutter Your Kitchen With The Spruce Home Organization Collection
Today On The Spruce
One Thing
Heading Living Room
Learn How to Make Child- and Parent-Approved Edible Playdough
Watch & Learn
Spruce Eats Banner
Today On The Spruce
More From The Spruce
Best Spice of the Month Clubs of 2021
Dig Into These Grilled Chinese Chicken Wings
What Is Jicama?

Trending Topics
Breads
Winter Recipes
Comforting Pasta Dishes
Seasonal Produce
Soups, Stews, and Chili
Breakfast Casseroles
Did somebody forward you this email? Sign Up for The Spruce Eats Newsletter!

Have feedback? Send us an email at contact@thespruceeats.com, subject line: Newsletter Feedback.
The Spruce
The Spruce The Spruce The Spruce
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to The Spruce Eats newsletter. Unsubscribe
© 2021 Dotdash.com — All rights reserved. Privacy Policy.
A DOTDASH BRAND 28 Liberty Street, 7th Floor, New York, NY, 10005

Nema komentara:

Objavi komentar