srijeda, 29. siječnja 2020.

Working Out When Things Aren't Working Out

Join us over the next few weeks and get inspired for the year ahead as our team of editors shares our healthy goals and visions for living Verywell in 2020.
 ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ 
 
Healthy 2020 Visions: Working Out When Things Aren't Working Out
Nick Ingalls, Senior Editor
You know how they say never to get groceries on an empty stomach? When you're hungry, you listen to your stomach and buy too much food. Asking yourself "Should I exercise right now?" with a half-asleep brain at 6 am is kind of the same thing—you listen to the parts of your brain and body that are too tired or too cold to get out from under the covers. In that moment, failure is not just an option, it feels like the only option. Why run in freezing temperatures when I can sleep for 30 more minutes instead? That's me—every morning.
 
You see, I've never been much of a planner, which can make forming new habits somewhat complicated. And with a long commute that sees me out the door by 8 and not home until 7, my free time is precious. It's tough to squeeze in anything extra, especially if I know it may cause some discomfort.
 
How, then, do I overcome these mental and physical barriers and stay on track? Sometimes, all it takes is to think about things in a different light and put my go-with-the-flow tendencies to good use. When it's time to run in the cold, I throw on one of the many ugly sweaters my mother-in-law has gifted me over the years. Suddenly, I'm exercising, I've cleared out space in my overstuffed dresser, and I don't have to lie about wearing that maroon turtleneck.
 
If I'm not going to be a planner, then I might as well get really good at improvising. Whether that means running to the grocery store (but not on an empty stomach!) instead of driving, chopping my own firewood, or always taking the stairs, there are plenty of ways to reframe the way I think about exercise, and goals in general.
 
Here are some ways I'll be removing failure as an option in 2020:
 
  Make it fun. I love working on and around our new house, and I can work up a sweat in the process. I'm going to find more ways to work out without even realizing I've done so until I feel sore in strange places the next day.
  Know that I have time, even if it never feels that way. Even if I missed the morning window, I can find another 30 minutes.
  Make exercise the journey, not the destination. By finding creative ways to combine things I'd like to do with things I have to do, I'll have no choice but to do it all.
 
READ NOW
10 Ways to Bounce Back From Failure
READ NOW  ›
How to Become More Resilient
READ NOW  ›
How to Take a Healthy Break From Exercise
READ NOW  ›
3 Fast and Effective At-Home Workouts
READ NOW  ›
EDITOR'S PICK OF THE WEEK
The 7 Best Sports Psychology Books of 2020
READ NOW  ›
Get Delicious
Recipes Delivered
to Your Inbox
ONE-TAP SIGN UP  ›
How Do You Live Verywell? 
With new goals in mind for the year ahead, share how you plan to live Verywell in 2020 for a chance to be featured in an upcoming newsletter.
Share Now
READ THESE NEXT
This Vitamin Can Boost Your Energy
READ NOW  ›
15 Snacks to Keep in Your Desk at Work
READ NOW  ›
How Vitamin D Affects Weight Loss
READ NOW  ›
The 3 Best Weight Loss Methods According to Science
READ NOW  ›
verywell fit
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the Healthy Eating newsletter. If you wish to unsubscribe, please click here.
A DOTDASH BRAND 1500 Broadway, 6th Floor, New York, NY, 10036
© 2020 Verywellhealth.com - All rights reserved. Privacy Policy

Nema komentara:

Objavi komentar