utorak, 25. siječnja 2011.

About Bipolar Disorder: Doctors Bad and Good

If you can't see this email, click here

About.com

Bipolar Disorder

Symptoms / Diagnosis

Treatment

Coping and Support



From Marcia Purse, your Guide to Bipolar Disorder
If I stick my tongue out at you, it's not necessarily because I wanted to. I'm doing it involuntarily - and it's a side effect of one of my medications. Below you can read more about what's happening, and why I have to discontinue that drug.

Doctors Can Be Great - Or Awful
When you have a mental illness, you need your doctors to be competent, respectful and understanding. Plenty of them are - but plenty fail at one or more of these requirements. They may be arrogant, dismissive, downright rude, and they may treat you differently or ignore real physical symptoms because you have a mental illness.

FDA May Lower Risk Category of ECT Devices
The devices that are used in electroconvulsive therapy - better known as ECT or electroshock therapy - are currently listed as "high risk" by the FDA, but that may be about to change.

I Have Tardive Dyskinesia Symptoms
I'd never have realized it myself - until it got much worse. I'm constantly sticking my tongue out onto my lips. That in itself isn't so bad, except that my lips are often painfully dry - but tardive dyskinesia can become a significant problem with far more serious and embarrassing symptoms.

Parkinsonian Symptoms
I have these, too: significant balance problems and insufficient arm movement when walking or turning. I clunk into things a LOT, especially when I turn. Demonstrating this to a friend the other day, I plunked right down onto her couch after turning - good thing the couch was there!

 


Bipolar Disorder Ads
Featured Articles
Forms of Bipolar Disorder
Explaining Bipolar Disorder to Others
Abusive Treatment? Don't Tolerate It!
A Bipolar Mom's Story
About Bipolar Disorder on Facebook
Follow on Twitter

 

More from About.com

Over the Counter Cold Medications
How to choose the right medication for your cold and flu symptoms. More>



Should Kids Get Flu Shots?
Think your child is too healthy to need a flu shot? Think again. More>




This newsletter is written by:
Marcia Purse
Bipolar Disorder Guide
Email Me | My Blog | My Forum
 
Sign up for more free newsletters on your favorite topics
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the About Bipolar Disorder newsletter. If you wish to change your email address or unsubscribe, please click here.

About respects your privacy: Our Privacy Policy

Contact Information:
249 West 17th Street
New York, NY, 10011

© 2011 About.com
 


What We're Talking About
For the hosts (who rock, I might add!)
Anyone else with morning depresson?
Med free and trying for baby

Advertisement

Nema komentara:

Objavi komentar