utorak, 7. rujna 2010.

About Bipolar Disorder: What Led To Your Diagnosis?

If you can't see this email, click here

About.com

Bipolar Disorder

Symptoms / Diagnosis

Treatment

Coping and Support



From Marcia Purse, your Guide to Bipolar Disorder
I thought I had clinical depression, period. I never recognized periods of hypomania for what they were, and in those good times I just told my counselor I was "doing well for a change." It took a good psychiatrist to spot the clues like racing thoughts and hypomanic response to antidepressants to diagnose me. This week, four readers share their diagnosis stories. You can, too (see "Featured Articles" below).

To the Hospital in Handcuffs - Annie's Story
Annie had symptoms starting at the age of 15 but wasn't diagnosed until much later, after a delusional and suicidal crisis sent her to the hospital. She describes a history of manic and depressive episodes, anxiety attacks, and the steps she took after hospitalization to help herself.

Katatonic: Multiple Conditions Delayed Diagnosis
Katatonic describes how difficult it was to get a correct diagnosis because so much was wrong. "Most of my symptoms from my diagnoses overlap or are all related. I have been through a lot of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and I receive ECT once a month due to resistance to many medications. My team of doctors really work hard to help me, and it has been a long road."

Diagnosis and What I've Learned from Goldie
Goldie says she might have been diagnosed sooner if she'd seen the right professionals. She says, "Go to a professional psychiatrist or nurse practitioner psychiatrist. I went years to my family doctor. They're not as skilled in diagnosing people with these disorders. After all, you wouldn't go to a vet if you were sick!"

Missie: Life Changes Triggered First Mania
Missie's story is a good example of the way life stresses can push a mood disorder over the edge. Marriage, moving or a birth are just as stressful as losing your job, divorce or a death. These major life events, as they are called, can be critical times for a person with a mood disorder - even one that has seemed manageable up until that time.

 


Bipolar Disorder Ads
Featured Articles
Share Your Diagnosis Story
Lyrica for Bipolar Disorder?
Neurontin / Gabapentin - Related to Lyrica
Neurontin Lawsuit Against Manufacturer
About Bipolar Disorder on Facebook
Follow on Twitter

 

More from About.com

Is it a Cold or the Flu?
Knowing whether you have a cold or the flu can help you treat your symptoms more effectively. More>



Concerned About Your Drinking?
This short quiz can help you identify whether or not you have a drinking problem. More>




This newsletter is written by:
Marcia Purse
Bipolar Disorder Guide
Email Me | My Blog | My Forum
 
Sign up for more free newsletters on your favorite topics
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the About Bipolar Disorder newsletter. If you wish to change your email address or unsubscribe, please click here.

About respects your privacy: Our Privacy Policy

Contact Information:
249 West 17th Street
New York, NY, 10011

© 2010 About.com
 


What We're Talking About
Hypomania/mania - what's it feel like?
I feel like I found home here
Denied disability!

Advertisement

Nema komentara:

Objavi komentar