utorak, 9. srpnja 2013.

About Yoga: Stretches for the Hamstring-Challenged

If you can't see this email, click here

About

Yoga

Yoga Styles

Beginners

Poses & Workouts



From Ann Pizer, your Guide to Yoga
The hamstrings are those pesky, often tight muscles than run along the backs of your thighs. Poses like compass (the pose of the week) are not a realistic way for the hamstring-challenged (a group in which I include myself) to get a good stretch. I'd like to offer you three kinder, gentler poses instead.

Downward Facing Dog
Your good friend downward dog is often the first hamstring stretch of your yoga session. Bend your right knee and sink your left heel toward the floor to work the hamstrings a little more. Repeat of the other side, of course.
Search Related Topics:  beginning poses  standing poses  downward facing dog

Standing Straddle Forward Bend
For a good hamstring stretch, don't take the feet too wide apart. About 90 degrees is plenty. Hinge from the hips as you fold forward with a flat back. A block can be used under your hands or you can just hang. Also try walking the hands forward for a wide-legged down dog.
Search Related Topics:  hamstring stretches  hip openers  beginning poses

Reclined Big Toe Pose
A strap (or belt or towel if that's what you have at home) makes this pose totally customizable to your body's flexibility. Keep the shoulders relaxed down and in their sockets.

Pose of the Week - Compass Pose
Poses of the Week usually come to me on their own. There's almost always something that's come up in class or on my mat that puts a pose on my mind and, thereby, in this column. On occasion, however, I have to go hunting for a pose to feature and I tend to look for ones that have been out of the limelight for awhile. Still, I was surprised to see that I hadn't written about compass pose since 2010! The reason, I must admit, is that this pose isn't part of my regular itinerary. It's rarely taught in the classes I go to and I think the reason is obvious: It's a really hard pose! If it seems too crazy, I might suggest elephant's trunk-eka hasta bhujasana as an alternative.
Search Related Topics:  seated poses  hamstring stretches  advanced poses

 


Related Searches
Featured Articles
An Index of Yoga Poses
Yoga Styles
Yoga Audio, Books, and Videos
Yoga Clothing and Equipment
Yoga and Your Health
Home Practice

 

More from About.com

Run Your First 5K
Even couch potatoes can be ready for a 5K with just a couple months of training. Read more...>



Help! I'm Too Busy
Time and stress management tips to help you feel as though you have more time. Read more...>




This newsletter is written by:
Ann Pizer
Yoga Guide
Email Me | My Blog | My Forum
 
Sign up for more free newsletters on your favorite topics
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the About.com Yoga newsletter. If you wish to change your email address or unsubscribe, please click here.

About.com respects your privacy: Our Privacy Policy

Contact Information:
1500 Broadway, 6th Floor
New York, NY, 10036

© 2013 About.com
 


Must Reads
What is Yoga?
Yoga for Beginners - How to Start
Yoga and Weight Loss
Yoga Tips
Sun Salutation - Step by Step
 
Follow me on:
Facebook Twitter

Advertisement

Nema komentara:

Objavi komentar