utorak, 30. srpnja 2013.

About Yoga: Three Poses for Yogis on the Go

If you can't see this email, click here

About

Yoga

Yoga Styles

Beginners

Poses & Workouts



From Ann Pizer, your Guide to Yoga
I've been traveling a lot in the last month and have had to catch my yoga where I can. Though I love to try out local studios, some days I've just had 5 minutes in my hotel room. My three essential poses focus on stretching the legs and hips since I tend to feel sciatica creeping in when I neglect these areas for too long. I hope these help you when you're on the road.

Downward Facing Dog for Your Whole Body
Of course you're going to do downward facing dog. It's great for your whole body, not just your legs. I like to pedal out my legs quite a bit and throw in a few down dog splits (see the pose of the week, below) if I have time.
Search Related Topics:  beginning poses  standing poses  downward facing dog

Half Moon Pose for the Hamstrings and Hips
This might not seem like an obvious choice, but I love the hamstring and hip opening one-two punch of this pose. If you usually use a block under your hand, make use of a chair or the edge of the bed for the same purpose. Since this is a balance, it also works the core a little bit.
Search Related Topics:  balances  standing poses  intermediate poses

Pigeon for the Hips and Piriformis
Taking a few minutes on each leg in pigeon is totally worth the time for me. (Full disclosure: I've been known to check my email in this position when short on time. You do what you gotta do.) This is the best way to get in to the piriformis and send that sciatic pain packing. Use pillows or blankets as props.
Search Related Topics:  hip openers  intermediate poses 

Pose of the Week - Down Dog Split
I've been using a down dog split sequence in my warm-up lately. First lift your leg into the split position. Then shift forward toward a plank position, but bend your knee on the lifted leg and bring that knee to your nose. Then extend back to the down dog split. Go back and forth a few times to build some heat.
Search Related Topics:  hip openers  beginning poses  standing poses

 


Related Searches
Featured Articles
Home Practice
Lifestyle
Yoga Breathing Exercises - Pranayama
Yoga Philosophy and Meditation
Advanced Yoga
Yoga Glossary

 

More from About.com

Run Your First 5K
Even couch potatoes can be ready for a 5K with just a couple months of training. Read more...>



Help! I'm Too Busy
Time and stress management tips to help you feel as though you have more time. Read more...>




This newsletter is written by:
Ann Pizer
Yoga Guide
Email Me | My Blog | My Forum
 
Sign up for more free newsletters on your favorite topics
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the About.com Yoga newsletter. If you wish to change your email address or unsubscribe, please click here.

About.com respects your privacy: Our Privacy Policy

Contact Information:
1500 Broadway, 6th Floor
New York, NY, 10036

© 2013 About.com
 


Must Reads
What is Yoga?
Yoga for Beginners - How to Start
Yoga and Weight Loss
Yoga Tips
Sun Salutation - Step by Step
 
Follow me on:
Facebook Twitter

Advertisement

Nema komentara:

Objavi komentar