srijeda, 8. kolovoza 2012.

About Sexuality: World Breastfeeding Week

If you can't see this email, click here

About.com

Sexuality

Sex Tips

Sex Talk

Sex Toys



From Cory Silverberg, your Guide to Sexuality
The first week of August is celebrated globally as World Breastfeeding Week. One of the things I appreciate most about About.com is the opportunity it affords me to collaborate with colleagues across many different topic areas. But sometimes I become aware of how compartmentalized sexuality is from the rest of life. Take breast talk for example. If this were a site about cancer or motherhood and the theme was breasts you'd expect one kind of thing, and likely not flinch. But a site that is about sexuality talking about breasts can easily seem like something very different. Something leering, or seedy. Certainly something sexualizing. I have absolutely nothing against consensual sexualization. Being viscerally turned on by someone, taking a long while to admire just one small part of a person, doesn't have to be demeaning or compartmentalizing. Having said that, I do find most of the ways that sexualization happens in public to be problematic at best, and assaultive at worst. Which is why my version of a breast themed newsletter may read a little differently than the kind you'll find on the newsstand. I don't say this to be snobby, or put down prurient print publications, far from it. It's just that for me, breasts must be appreciated in their entirety, and while I can appreciate the artistry of photoshop, my heart belongs to our actual bodies, our actual breasts, which are rarely as neat and tidy as they look in magazines. ~ Cory

Breastless, Hairless, Heavier, and in Pain
A reader writes: I'm a 31 year old breast cancer survivor, and I recently had a double mastectomy. I'm midway through the reconstruction process, so I don't yet have implants or nipples. And I'm currently going through chemo, which has made me lose my hair and gain something in the vicinity of ten pounds. I've had vulvodynia, which makes penetrative sex anywhere from uncomfortable to impossible, depending on the day, since I was seventeen years old. So now I have no feeling in my chest, as well as pain in my vulva. I've always been pretty happy with the way I look, but the combination of being breastless, hairless, and heavier, in addition to the ongoing vulvar pain, is making it difficult for me to love my body. Any tips? My response.

Sex and Breastfeeding
They may seem like two words that don't belong together. But many who breastfeed know that they do, even if they aren't quite sure how, or how to respond when they do. Here's some straight talk on how breastfeeding can impact sexuality, and how to manage it in a way that reflects your desire, whether for sex or for comfort or just to get through the day.

World Breastfeeding Week
As a general rule, the main articles in About.com weekly newsletters are meant to be by your About.com guide to the particular topic at hand. But I need to make an exception this week and share with you this breastfeeding blog carnival organized by Robin Elise Weiss the About.com Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth, and one of the people whose opinions I turn to most in all things pregnancy and birth related.



 


Sexuality Ads
Featured Articles
Follow Me on Twitter!
Sex Definition: Infidelity, Adultery, and Cheating
Female Masturbation Techniques
Sexuality E-Course: Weekly Sex Position
Oral Sex Video Reviews
9 Weeks to Better Sex

 

More from About.com

Free Children's Books
How would you like to have access to a free online public library of books from around the world for kids 3 to 13? Read more...>



Best Water Parks
Better pack your bathing suit -- here are our recommendations for the funnest, wettest, splashiest water parks around. Read more...>




This newsletter is written by:
Cory Silverberg
Sexuality Guide
Email Me | My Blog | My Forum
 
Sign up for more free newsletters on your favorite topics
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the About.com Sexuality newsletter. If you wish to change your email address or unsubscribe, please click here.

About.com respects your privacy: Our Privacy Policy

Contact Information:
249 West 17th Street
New York, NY, 10011

© 2012 About.com
 


Must Reads
What Is Sex?
Sex How Tos
All About Orgasms
Sex Toys 101
Sex Positions Pictures
 
Follow me on:
Facebook Twitter

Advertisement

Nema komentara:

Objavi komentar