srijeda, 23. lipnja 2010.

About Sexuality: The Price of Sexual Fame

If you can't see this email, click here

About.com

Sexuality

Sex Tips

Talking About Sex

Sexual Health



From Cory Silverberg, your Guide to Sexuality
I don't think there's anything enviable about fame. Fame isn't the same thing as power, it's not the same thing as wealth. They're related, but they're more like the grandfather who doesn't talk to your side of the family anymore, or the cousin you only knew when you were kids. Power and wealth also may not be as great as they seem, but it's hard to argue that they come with some benefits, and for some those benefits far outweigh the drawbacks. Fame, maybe not so much. We're instructed in a thousand tiny ways every day that fame is something everyone should, and anyone would, want. But I remain skeptical, based mostly on the famous people I know. Sexual fame is a particular kind of fame. There are those who become sexually famous for having sex. They are many. There are fewer who become famous for talking about sex. They are the ones I'm most concerned with, because those are the people who I hear about in every other email I get, or question I receive while teaching. It's those sexually famous people who often leave their audiences with the McDonald's-esque sensation of being full and feeling sick at the same time. This week's question is all about those people who become sexually famous for talking and giving advice about sex. Presumably they get there because they know something we don't. And presumably we listen to what they have to say. So my question is this: What is it that you think the sexually famous know that you don't? ~ Cory

The Price of Sexual Fame
This isn't a personal narrative. I'm not someone with sexual fame. I don't even play someone like that on TV. I'm in the fortunate position of being able to write for millions of people each month and still maintain control over what I write and how I write it. But I have to deal with the sexually famous in the course of my work days, and inevitably this means asking myself whether I'd ever want to try and be like them, and what exactly one has to do to become one of them.

New Research: Vibrator Use Among Men
A new study looking at men who identify as gay and bisexual and vibrator use offers more detail, and data, than ever before on the who, how, why, and where of men using vibrators.

Help, I'm Addicted to My Vibrator
Is it possible that I'm addicted to my vibrator? And if I am, do I need to go cold turkey if I ever want to enjoy sex with someone else?

Last Longer
Many men, it seems, have a problem. They want to last longer. I have a different problem. I don't know what they want to last longer at, precisely.

 


Sexuality Ads
Featured Articles
How to Use Lube
FDA Unanimously Votes Down New Female Sex Drug
Sexuality E-Course: Weekly Sex Position
Sex and Disability
9 Weeks to Better Sex
Follow About Sexuality on Twitter!

 

More from About.com

Plan a Unique Vegas Wedding
The minister, music and champagne are just the beginning -- why not get married aboard a helicopter or have a pirate swing in to deliver your rings? Arrrr! More>



Join About.com's User Panel!
Share your opinions and help us make About.com more relevant, informative and enjoyable to use. More>




This newsletter is written by:
Cory Silverberg
Sexuality Guide
Email Me | My Blog | My Forum
 
Sign up for more free newsletters on your favorite topics
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the About Sexuality newsletter. If you wish to change your email address or unsubscribe, please click here.

About respects your privacy: Our Privacy Policy

Contact Information:
249 West 17th Street
New York, NY, 10011

© 2010 About.com
 


3 Questions About Sex Educators
What Do Sex Educators Do?
How Can I Become a Sex Educator?
Where Do I Find a Sex Educator?

Advertisement

Nema komentara:

Objavi komentar