srijeda, 27. lipnja 2012.

About Breast Cancer: Topless Swimmer Promotes Breast Cancer Awareness

If you can't see this email, click here

About.com

Breast Cancer

Symptoms / Diagnosis

Treatment

Daily Life



From Pam Stephan, your Guide to Breast Cancer
I've been wearing one-piece swimsuits since I got married 34 years ago. So there's no chance I would hit the pool in just a bikini bottom! But one woman wanted to swim topless in public - and you can bet she made plenty of waves.

Topless Swimmer Promotes Breast Cancer Awareness
Seattle is a fairly progressive city, I am told. They have a fine Parks & Rec Department, including nice public pools. Jodi Jaecks wanted to swim there - topless - as part of her breast cancer recovery. So: no breasts, no bikini top, no problem, right? Well, wrong - sort of. Suddenly, her choice of swimwear has become political.

Arm Exercises After Breast Surgery
After my mastectomy, I noticed that it was harder and harder to hook my bra and steer my car. Turned out I had developed a frozen shoulder and it didn't respond to physical therapy very well. Had I done some arm exercises, I'd have saved myself lots of trouble.

Loosen Up Those Arms and Shoulders - Here's How!
Once I found the right physical therapist, she put me to work with weights, stretch bands, and all kinds of movements. It took a year of torture (I mean exercise) to get my full range of motion back. By the way, she made me swim, too - but I didn't skinny-dip!

Here's a set of tutorials on how to keep your arms and shoulders moving freely as you recover.

See More About:  arm exercises  breast surgery  lymphedema

Treatment Options for Breast Cancer
There are 5 basic types of treatments for breast cancer. Read about surgery types, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, targeted biologic therapies, and follow-up therapies, such as hormone suppression.

 


Breast Cancer Ads
Featured Articles
Support and Resources - During and After Treatment
Life During Treatment - Self Care, Side Effects, Reconstruction
Life After Treatment, Recovery, Hair and Skin Care, Changes
Decode Medical Terms - Breast Cancer Glossary
Breast Cancer Basics - Definition, Types, Survival Statistics
Risk and Prevention

 

More from About.com

Bake Sale Bestsellers
Make your next bake sale a profitable one with these irresistible recipes. More>



Real Recipes app
Download our highly-rated app for free recipes and kitchen tools, for iPhone and iPod Touch. More>




This newsletter is written by:
Pam Stephan
Breast Cancer Guide
Email Me | My Blog | My Forum
 
Sign up for more free newsletters on your favorite topics
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the About.com Breast Cancer newsletter. If you wish to change your email address or unsubscribe, please click here.

About.com respects your privacy: Our Privacy Policy

Contact Information:
249 West 17th Street
New York, NY, 10011

© 2012 About.com
 


Must Reads
What is Breast Cancer?
Symptoms of Breast Cancer
Diagnosis of Breast Cancer
Treatments for Breast Cancer
Preventing Breast Cancer
 
Follow me on:
Facebook Twitter

Advertisement

Nema komentara:

Objavi komentar